26 July 2014

My Three-Day Fast

About a month ago I  read a very interesting article that by fasting for 72 hours, one can completely reset or regenerate ones immune system. See the article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10878625/Fasting-for-three-days-can-regenerate-entire-immune-system-study-finds.html

So, I thought this might be something I'd like to try. When I was in college in my very late teens, I fasted every first Thursday of the month. Since I never ate breakfast in those days, I effectively fasted for over 36 hours in those days.

Additionally, my wife Darlene is back in the USA for a month dealing with some financial and family issues. (As an aside, I've wondered at times if Darlene's MY wife, or am I HER husband? But, I digress.) So, I can avoid watching her eat and smelling her cook, which would be tough on my self-discipline. On top of all this, it is Ramadan here in the United Arab Emirates, so I don't have to worry about my Emirati colleagues buying breakfast in the morning for all the shop. The UAE Army supervisor of the shop, Yousef, does this frequently and I always feel obligated by local custom to sit with him and have some breakfast.

So, last Sunday I finished supper at 17:30 (5:30 PM), and mentally locked away everything but the water. Things were fine till I got home the next day, Monday. As I settled in and got ready to head to the training session for the Abu Dhabi Saracens Rugby Club, I swore I could hear the refrigerator talking to me:

"Ruppert, I'm full of delicious food! Come and eat some! Oooohhh! How 'bout this leftover mutton roast? Mmmmm, mmmmm! Yummy!"

I drank a glass of water.

Tuesday morning I awoke congratulating myself on being halfway through. I was really psyched!

At work, I told my friend Saleh, one of the Emirati Army Warrant Officers I work beside. He was concerned that I was trying to fast for 3 straight days, rather than the proper Ramadan way. I assured him, that no, I was fine. I patted my belly and assured him that my body can find all the nutrition it requires there! I was flattered by his concern.

Now would likely be a good time to explain Ramadan to those who are unaware. Ramadan for Muslims is a month of fasting, meditation and prayer. The Muslim calendar is based solely on the cycles of the moon, and Ramadan moves back a few days every year on the Gregorian calendar used worldwide. During the Holy Month of Ramadan, Muslims will awaken before dawn to have breakfast and to pray. At sunrise, all food, drink, sex, tobacco use, and even chewing gum, are forbidden till sundown. Exception is made for children, the elderly, the sick, and those performing heavy physical labor. This is an especially difficult time of year as the daylight hours are long - around fifteen hours.

Traditionally at sundown, a light snack of dates and milk is eaten before prayers. Then, an 'iftar' or supper meal, is then enjoyed. Timings are published and broadcast throughout the day by the local media. And like many other religions, there are those who take it seriously, and others who just bear it because they are obligated. Here in the UAE, a Muslim country, the fast is enforced by law. People can be fined by the police for breaking the law publicly. Where I work, we have designated "Ramadan-Free Zones" (a poor use of words in my opinion) where we non-Muslims can avoid the long arm of Allah and the law, and it's respected by the locals.

Now Tuesday evening for me was tougher than Monday. There was no training, and beside some housework and petcare, I had little to occupy my mind. And, my stomach was NOT very happy. But I held out. Much water was consumed that evening.

Now, one interesting thing I found was that water passes through one quickly without solid food. I can normally hold out 10-to-11 hours at work, but not these three days.

Wednesday morning at 5:30 I was really pumped. "ONLY" twelve hours to go!

Now, normally, our work hours are 6:30 to 14:30 (2:30 PM). Wednesday is a ten-hour day, so we have lunch delivered that day. During Ramadan, by Federal Emirati law, the day is shortened, so we have donuts Wednesday mornings during the Holy Month rather than lunch, since our hours are shortened to 13:30 (1:30 PM). So, of course, there were those amazing Dunkin' Donuts sitting on the table when I arrived that morning. I gathered up a couple and set them aside. I was gonna have my donuts, but later in the day.

At work that day, Yousef asked if I would go to an iftar buffet that night to break my fast. I thought about it, as it would have been only an additional two hours, but then realized that training would start right before iftar. So, I told him 'no.'

Once at home, I prepared for training, did housework and 'maintained' the cats. Then I decided to begin supper. Garlic bread, mutton with mint sauce, baked sweet potato, and stuffed grape leaves. It was all ready by 17:15.

Fifteen more minutes.

Cue the Jeopardy theme music.

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

17:28.

Time to set the table. Pour that tall glass of sweet, iced tea.

17:30. YES. I did it.

Interestingly, the fast wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. And I'm quite satisfied that I was able to do it. There was at least one complication, though. For some reason I developed a cough for about ten minutes Tuesday afternoon. Normally, I'd pop a cough drop and it would be done. This time, I just drank some water.

Will I do it again? Maybe, but I'll likely have to wait for Ramadan again. That will be fine, actually. I really can't see doing this more than once or twice a year. The result? I don't know, but I'll be going to a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks. That may be interesting.