08 October 2013

Grits! My Kingdom for Grits!

The United States has conquered the world. “How is that?” you say? Okay, maybe not completely, but if we do we will with the help of Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and any other English speaking nations I may have forgotten. English is universal it seems. I have had little to no trouble anywhere on this planet being a mostly-English speaker. And this has been in Spain, Germany, France, Morocco, Portugal, Korea and here in Arabia.

And making it all so much easier for me is the conquest of the world by American food. For instance Kentucky Fried Chicken recently celebrated the opening of its 100th restaurant in the United Arab Emirates. Additionally, I can eat at Chili’s, Fuddrucker’s, Ponderosa, McDonald’s, Hardees, Subway, as well as Popeye’s and Dominos, to name just a few.
The ONE crack in the wall is the multitude of Chinese restaurants. But, that's another subject.
You’re NOT going to find much in the way of pork ribs or good pulled or any other kind of pork in restaurants here, but one can find as much pork as you’d like to cook at the back of any number of stores here – back in the Non-Muslim Only section. Bacon, pork bellies, ribs, bologna, Vienna sausage, Spam, pepperoni and pork chops. Additionally, there are a number of wonderful liquor stores here where you can get any alcoholic beverages you like, as long as you have your liquor license. Here you need a license to BUY liquor.
If I do have any frustration, it’s that there are a number of products here that are rare or impossible to find in any store. Grits for example, are a rarity. I was here ten months before I found my first package, and that was Quaker Instant Grits. Thankfully, though, I found them at exactly the right time to cook up a reasonable facsimile of shrimp and grits for the Newcomers Dinner at church.
Now, while I have trouble finding grits, on the other hand ramen, kimchi, haggis and anything curry are a cinch. And while I’m not a great cereal lover, I do like Special K Vanilla and Almonds. I have found it twice since arriving, though every other Special K flavor seems readily available, as well as Fruit Loops. The last time I found my Special K, I bought four boxes. It wasn't enough. I've been out for four months now.
And for some reason, Pam cooking spray is another rare commodity. I found some and bought six cans. If I can find Bizquik, I’ll do the same. As one colleague said, living in the United Arab Emirates will make you a hoarder.
Why this trouble in finding these foods I can’t understand? There are a number of major stores here including European megastore Carrefour, the UK’s Spinneys, and local giant LuLu. I tend to wonder if they buy from one distributor?
Interestingly, for those of us who like our food spicy hot, the variety of sauces here is mind-boggling. Tabasco, Louisiana Hot Sauce, Frank’s Red Hot and numerous other brands American and otherwise are readily available. EXCEPT Texas Pete. I have asked many people why Texas Pete is unavailable, but no one seems to know. All I can figure is that perhaps some guy from Texas, or someone named Pete made a Royal Family member mad. Maybe a Texan named Pete. Who knows.
But, I can get chickpeas. Lots of chickpeas. Shelves and shelves full of chickpeas. Chickpeas are used to make hummus, and hummus is a staple in the Middle East. So, yeah, I can find chickpeas. And haggis. And Brazilian pork rinds. And South African boersvor sausage. And stuffed grape leaves, And raw grape leaves for that matter.
Oh, for some grits.
Oh, yeah. The grits were gone from that store's shelves within days, if not hours. I have friends and colleagues here who bring grits back in their luggage from the US. Next time I’ll just hoard them. World conquest or otherwise.